Friday 17 April 2015

Spring Swap

My swap for the Spring Training was inspired by this swap I received from a Dutch Demo at European convention, which have a yummy treat inside...

My yummy treat was a different size so had to work out the size of card needed ... which is twice the length, twice the depth and a bit of overlap to hold the treat in. So for me it worked out at the length of the A4 card and 2.5" wide

 

Then to the scoring of the card, which you need to get your treat and a ruler out... first score line needs to cover the length of your treat so for me it worked out at 3.75", then depth of treat (4⅛" for me), then length of treat (so up to 8" for me), another depth measure (8⅜"), then look at you overlap section and give your treat a reasonable length to be hugged in as well as for the flap to stick down (which for me meant a score at 10" and 10⅜")

Next step is to make the slot for your treat... I had done my width of card so that I had ½" of card either side so using a craft knife cut it along the crease lines for the holding flap and across at ½" in on each side. Then check your treat fits!


Now to the prettification! 

First off, a piece of the Gold Soiree DSP for the front cover, I used different designs for different flavours of chocolate stick treat... plus some double sided tape on the end flap to stick to the back cover.
Then to the sentiment... keeping with the 'for you' theme of the orginal I used this sentiment from 'Garden Party' set of stamps. I used a combination of the smallest sized of the SU labels Die set and Label from the Circle flip card die. Cut 1 sentiment and 2 backgrounds for each treat book.


Then onto the holding device for your treat book I used white seam binding ribbon which I inked up in colours on the papers, so Pistaschio Pudding, Calypso Coral and Crisp Cantaloupe and a set I kept white. Just use daubers or sponges to colour up the ribbon on both sides. Then use liquid glue over 1 background piece and lay the ribbon over, I worked out where to sit it for a central-ish location on the front cover and set it up so I placed it on the same place on the cutting mat, then laid the ribbon from the start of the mat. To use the method you end up working them upside down... 
Then a blob more liquid glue over the ribbon and place the sentment mounted background card to complete the ribbon part.








Nearly there! So next step is to wrap the ribbon around the treat book and tie some bakers twine to hold the ribbon in place, you want it pretty tight so I found it easier to tie the twine while still on the card to get a tight knot then cut to get the right length, rather than lots of short bits. I used gold twine but found the gold bits wanted to unwind for me (but not my orginal swap :( ) (sorry for the upside down photo on the right... blogger won't upload the rotated version!). Slide the twine allow the ribbon to loosen and slide off the treat book to get at the chocolate!


Ta-Dah! The four colour and paper combinations on offer... 




No comments:

Post a Comment